Saturday, July 15, 2006

Disassembling (part of) a laptop

The past couple of months my laptop (a Compaq Presario 2500) kept halting and after some tests I decided it was shutting down due to the fans not kicking in when the temperature had risen. So, two weeks ago I decided to take it apart and see if that was actually the problem. Since I was out of warranty anyway I figured I had nothing to lose. This is a flickr photo-log of the process (start at the last photo). And contrary to my expectations (which indicated that I'd have to take it to the Compaq technicians anyway) it all worked out:) My laptop is no longer shutting down and everything else seems to be working ok - for the time being at least.

Disclaimer: Always print and follow the manual before undertaking similar tasks - I know I did. As I am not a qualified technician, follow the photo-log at your own risk - I bear no responsibility if your equipment is damaged.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Λύσιππος said...

You call that dirt, I call it pubic hair! :) Next time place the laptop away from your lap!

Sun Jul 16, 01:17:00 AM 2006  
Blogger evee said...

why is the post written in english?

I presume U were writing from ...?

anyway.. I love those posts. They remind me of those "mechanical"/game expreriments that I used to do as a child. Later unfortunately those moments became quite rare.

Sun Jul 16, 11:00:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Dimitris Athanasiadis said...

LoL Λ:) I'm afraid I rarely use it on my lap so it has to be dirt;)

This was written in English so that anyone can benefit from the images - not just Greeks.

In any case I too had to struggle to find free time and eventually I ended up splitting the laptop dissasembly project over several days.

Mon Jul 17, 02:52:00 AM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home